Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

I love cinnamon. Probably more than I should. I'm sure fresh cinnamon has some health benefits, but when it's baked into cinnamon rolls or coffee cake I'm sure the health benefits are outweighed by the the fat and sugar calories I am consuming. However, I will not be denied. I love cinnamon.

I've noticed lately that our Sunday morning breakfasts have fallen into a routine of sorts. If I have enough energy to plan ahead, The Monkey and Horse Lover always want me to make cinnamon rolls, though they have since told me they prefer it with regular white icing instead of the chocolate. If I don't have the energy (as has been the case through this move), then they ask for either Coffee Cake, pancakes, or waffles.

My mother would often make Cowboy Coffee Cake for us when I was younger. We loved it. It had a crumbly streusel topping and was just delicious. She got the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. In the 11th Edition that I have, they actually call it Buttermilk Coffee Cake, but since I don't use buttermilk and vary the recipe to have more cinnamon in it anyway... we'll just call it Cinnamon Coffee Cake. Also, I halved the recipe. A 9x13 pan full of coffee cake might be great for a family with six kids, but for my family of 2 kids and a baby? Umm... no.

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

2/3 c. milk
2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice
1 1/4 c. whole wheat or white flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter or shortening
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (yes, another 1/2 tsp!)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 egg


In a small measuring cup, pour 2/3 c. milk. Add lemon juice or vinegar and set aside. (It will curdle into sour milk while you're mixing the other ingredients.)

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
Add shortening or butter, and crumble together. Although you can use a pastry cutter, the easiest way to do this is with your hands. Cover the butter or shortening with some of the flour mixture and squeeze it.
Repeat this over and over, crumbling between your fingers until the butter or shortening is crumbled in evenly with the flour mixture.
Now, set aside 1/4 cup of the crumbled mixture. (This will be your streusel topping for later.) To the remaining flour mixture, add it baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well and set aside.

Go back to your milk. It should be slightly curdled by now. Add an egg to it and beat well with a fork.

Dump this into your dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
Spray a large casserole dish or small baking pan with cooking spray. (You're looking for something that would be about 1/2 the size of a 9x13 inch pan, remember!) Pour batter into prepared pan.
Sprinkle with that streusel topping that you set aside.
Bake in an oven preheated to 350 for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin