Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Beef Stroganoff

The Honey, lover of all things meaty, recently requested some beef stroganoff for dinner. And like the dutiful, compliant, easy-going, ever-loving wife that I am, I fixed it for him. (And if you believe all that about me, then I have some ocean-front property I'd like to sell you...)

To be quite honest, neither of my girls will eat this meal. But that is mostly because they don't like ground beef. I can't really blame them - it's not my favorite for that reason, either. In fact, it would probably be much better if I made it with some sliced steak, but lean ground beef is what I had on hand, and lean ground beef is what I used.

Before I get into the recipe, I have some news. I'm going to start doing something a little extra with my recipes. Since my mother is a math teacher, I have this genetic predisposition towards math. I'm really quite the math nerd, and love doing all sorts of calculations and puzzles in my head. Very geeky, I know, but you will now begin reaping the benefits of my weirdness, because that means I can calculate the calories per serving for just about every recipe I make. As long as I pay attention while I'm making it, that is. And since we all want to make sure we're not busting our waistlines with our meals, I'll start including that information with each recipe.

Beef Stroganoff
(Makes 3 adult servings. Approximately 260 calories per serving. When served over 3/4 c. cooked egg noodles, total is 425 calories per serving.)

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 small can mushrooms, drained
1/4 c. flour
1 c. 1% milk
1/2 c. light sour cream
Salt/pepper to taste
Dash of nutmeg
Cooked egg noodles or rice


In a large frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain and rinse with hot water. Return to pan and add minced onion and mushrooms.
Continue cooking over medium heat.




Sprinkle 1/4 c. flour over the beef mixture. Mix well.





Measure out 1 c. of milk. Add about half of the milk to the flour and beef mixture, and stir until well combined. Add the remaining milk and sour cream. Add salt/pepper and dash of nutmeg. Continue to simmer over medium heat until mixture reaches desired thickness.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin