Saturday, September 12, 2009

Quick & Easy Spaghetti & Meatballs

As promised, here is my quick and easy version of my Momma's spaghetti sauce recipe. I made it after church on Sunday with no advance preparation along with cheesy garlic bread. We were ready to sit down and eat 45 minutes after walking through the door, and the only reason it took so long was because I was waiting on the spaghetti noodles to finish cooking! So, I recommend starting your water to boil for the pasta BEFORE starting the sauce.

(By the way, how do you like my "new" green counter tops? Circa 1965, and contrary to what they look like in the pictures, NOT avocado green. Better than black, though! Don't worry, new ones are on my wish list. Eventually.)

Quick & Easy Spaghetti & Meatballs

3 14.5 oz. cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 12-oz. can of tomato paste
1 clove garlic (optional)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
Pre-cooked meatballs, frozen or otherwise


When I made this, I combined all the ingredients (except for the meatballs). I found when I did this that my blender had to work really, really hard before it was done. Therefore, you may want to do half the recipe at a time in the blender. This would be 1 1/2 cans tomato, 1/2 the can of tomato paste, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp vinegar. Then pour it into a pan and do it all again.



Either way, when you're done pour it into a medium saucepan and it should look something like this. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.





While your sauce is heating up, take your meatballs and thaw in the microwave. Because I had just moved, I used store-bought meatballs. (According to The Honey, they aren't as good as Kathleen's Meatballs, which is what I usually make.) I defrosted 18 frozen meatballs by cooking on high in the microwave for about 90 seconds.




Once you thaw your meatballs, add them to your sauce and let them simmer until heated through. This should be done about the same time as your noodles and garlic bread.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin