Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hey, Good Lookin'... Whatcha Been Cookin'?

Many things, but not all of them edible. Tomorrow I return to posting about food and all things yummy, but today I just have to tell you what I did with my weekend. A month ago we bought a new house. It was built in the 1960's and the couple who originally owned it had passed away. Another young couple owned it for the past year but never got it updated the way they wanted to. When we bought the house, the main bathroom needed a serious makeover - it even had brown carpet. So on a whim I bought an inexpensive vanity top and matching vanity and proceeded to rip out the old stuff, including the wallpaper.

This what I started with (sans the carpet):


I spent a day working on the bathroom before we moved in, and only got as far as stripping the wallpaper (kind of), priming, painting, removing molding, and taking up the floor. Someone else was going to do the vanity for us and teach The Honey how to lay tile. As my sister-in-law pointed out, it's good that I'm not afraid of color, but it's bad that I don't know how to use it. (I can't be good at everything, right?)

So in case you were blinded by my first attempt and are wondering what in the world this has to do with my weekend... I will tell you.

In the four weeks that we have lived here, we have not yet had the bathroom done. We did eventually have a vanity installed that we could use, but no floor, no trim, and nothing livable. And the vanity has had its own problems. This of course has made it hard for me to focus on anything much. Cooking, decorating, normal daily life, exercise, etc. So I called my sister-in-law this past Monday to decide how to fix this situation, and what do you think happened? My brother and sister-in-law came up from Louisiana with their family to save us. They got here on Friday evening - 2 adults, 3 kids, and 1 dog. It was chaotic, noisy, and the dogs dug up my back yard (bad doggies!), but by the time they left this morning, we had this:
As you can see it's not quite done yet. I'm still painting some trim and have to put up the mirror and such, but it is beautiful and relaxing and now goes with the rest of my house. Just what a bathroom should be! It's amazing how good I feel having it almost done. And to celebrate? I'm making almond granola! Stay tuned for the recipe...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin