Sunday, May 17, 2009

A quick word about whole wheat flour...

I love to cook with whole wheat flour. It's more nutritious and more filling that white flour, and I think it tastes better. I happen to have a good friend with a great wheat grinder, and I can easily purchase whole wheat grain through my church. The flour that I can grind with a good grinder at home is superior in both quality and texture than what I can purchase at my grocery store. (Once grain is ground into flour the nutrients start to break down if kept at room temperature.)


For a while I did not have access to a wheat grinder, and would simply purchase my whole wheat flour at the store. When I did that, I found it much coarser than what I was used to, and it was necessary for me to use equal parts whole wheat flour and white flour in my usual recipes. However, the great thing about most of my recipes is that it doesn't really matter what kind of flour you use. Just be aware that it doesn't usually take quite as much whole wheat flour to thicken a dough as it would white flour, so be prepared to give or take a little flour as needed.

1 comment:

Mrs.Snip said...

Is the texture a lot different, when it is "home ground" rather than purchased from the store? I have tried it, but found it has too much much texture. I have never tried it freshly ground.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin