Friday, September 25, 2009

Fun Fridays: Sausage Dip

If I could only but take a picture that could truly show just how good this stuff tastes... of course, I'd need a much better camera to start with. Maybe Christmas?

In the meantime, the credit for this recipe I think goes to my cousin, Bonnie, who lives in Virginia Beach. My family moved to South Carolina from upstate NY when I was ten. Since we still had a lot of family still in New York, every summer we would drive to NY and back, visiting family and friends all along the way - including my uncle's family in Virginia Beach. One particular summer, some of us stayed with my cousin, Bonnie. She made us stuffed shells and this sausage dip. I've had the recipe ever since. And boy is it F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. It's also E-A-S-Y. My other favorite word.

A word of caution: when I make this for a large group, I buy the mild sausage and mild Rotel tomatoes. I've made this using the can of original flavor Rotel tomatoes, and it's a wee bit too spicy for me, but then I'm a baby when it comes to spicy things. You make it the way you want it based on how you like your spicy.


Sausage Dip

1 lb. ground sausage
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese OR neufchatel cheese
1 can Rotel tomatoes

Corn chips (i.e. Tostitos) for dipping





In a large pan, brown ground sausage.




While cooking, be sure to crumble meat as much as possible so the sausage can be spread evenly throughout the dip. Drain ground sausage. (I also like to rinse with hot water to get as much extra grease off as possible.


While the sausage is still hot, mix together in a bowl with softened cream cheese. This makes it so much easier to blend well because the heat from the sausage melts the cream cheese and makes it easier to stir.


Once the cream cheese and sausage are mixed, dump the whole can of Rotel tomatoes in - juice and all. Mix well.



If not serving right away, refrigerate until ready to serve. To soften the dip a little prior to serving, microwave for about 30 -60 seconds and stir well. Serve with corn chips.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin