Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cinnamon Biscuits

My kids have been begging for my cinnamon rolls lately. Unfortunately, since we've moved I haven't had the focus or foresight to make my usual fare since it requires making yeast bread. So a couple of nights ago I finally broke down and decided to make breakfast for dinner with a side of no-yeast cinnamon rolls. I found a recipe online that I could use as a starting point. After making it, I realized that most no-rise cinnamon rolls recipes are really nothing more than cinnamon biscuits. I can live with that, but they won't replace my yeast cinnamon rolls any time soon. Here's the recipe with my changes.


Cinnamon Biscuits
(I didn't count the calories on this one, folks. In situations like these, I just know they are going to be high so I make a point of not eating too many!)

Dough

3 c. flour (white, wheat, or a mixture)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 1/4 c. milk

Filling
2 Tbsp. butter
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Icing
2 c. powdered sugar
Milk



In a large mixing bowl, combine flour (I used 2 c. wheat, 1 c. white), baking soda, salt, and soda. Cut butter into cubes and add to bowl.






Using your hands, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.





Add milk and stir as much as you can with a spoon.






Dump mixture out on a floured surface and knead it together until completely combined.





Roll out dough into a large rectangle. If sides are too rounded, fold them in to make a straight edge and roll flat again.




When you've got a large rectangle (about 10x16 inches), melt your butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.




Spread melted butter out on the dough, and sprinkle with cinnamon mixture, getting as close to the edges as you can.



Roll the dough into a tube for slicing. Using a ruler, score the top of the roll at inch-intervals so you know where to slice. Then, taking a piece of thin string or dental floss, cut off the cinnamon biscuits by wrapping the string around the tube and pulling it tight.



Place cinnamon biscuits on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.






Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. While baking, prepare your icing by placing the powdered sugar in a bowl and adding milk, a tablespoon at a time, until icing has reached desired consistency. Ice cinnamon biscuits while still warm.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin