Monday, July 27, 2009

Chow Mien for One










Spaghetti is always a great dinner, but it seems like I can never make exactly the right amount of spaghetti noodles. Either I made too few and I have tons of leftover sauce, or I make too many noodles for the sauce and then I have to throw away the extra noodles.

Not any more.

I really enjoy the Panda Express chow mien side dish, which is actually not a bit like the chow mien my dad used to make when I was growing up. With a few tips from my neighbor, I was able to make this yummy variation of my own.


Chow Mien For One

1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 c. slivered carrot
3/4 c. thinly sliced cabbage
2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp. dried minced onion
or 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1-2 cloves minced garlic
Salt/pepper to taste
Leftover spaghetti noodles (about 1 cup)

Preheat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in frying pan over medium heat. Slice carrots and add to pan.











Cut cabbage and add to pan. (This allows the carrots the extra couple minutes they need to be tender at the same time as the carrot.)










While sauteing the cabbage and carrot, add a sprinkle of soy sauce, water, chicken bouillon granules, minced onion or onion powder, and garlic.










When veggies reach desired tenderness, add cold spaghetti noodles. Add another sprinkle of soy sauce and mix well. Continue sauteing until noodles are heated through.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin