Thursday, July 16, 2009

"I Am NOT Eating That!"

So what do you do when you're kids turn up their noses at what you've fixed for dinner? This actually happens to me on a regular basis because Horse Lover and The Monkey were "dietarily" spoiled as young children. I was a working mom who fed her family a lot convenience food. This was especially true when they were 12-24 months old. And although my cooking habits have changed, their taste for the junk food has remained. Since I refuse to spend my life only cooking the 3 meals they actually like, the battle with picky-eater-syndrome has ensued.

I use the word "battle" but that's really a misnomer because I refuse to fight about it. Been there, done that, doesn't work. So what does work?

This, my friends, is what works.

When I had this for dinner:










My daughter had this:











Did I cave? Did I fix two meals? No.

After a little taste of the sauce, my daughters really didn't want the Italian Rice with Steak, so they just had the rice plain with a little butter and salt. They had some of the broccoli and cheese, but I also gave them a little more shredded cheese for added nutrition. My kids also had the choice of fresh veggies cut up in the fridge - red and green bell pepper, and cucumber. Horse Lover really likes red bell pepper. The Monkey one chose green pepper and cucumber. Top it off with a slice of whole grain bread and butter, and voila! A well-rounded meal!

The trick, I have found, is to have their food choices out on the counter/table and that's all they can choose from. And those same choices are available to everyone - no one gets a special deal. I didn't want cold veggies or bread, so I stuck with the broccoli and Italian rice. If they eat a decent amount for dinner (including their veggies) they can have a healthy snack later if they get hungry. If not, not. See? No battle. It's their choice, and as far as they are concerned I could care less if they eat their dinner.

Just don't let them in on my secret.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin