Sunday, November 15, 2009

Low-Fat Blender Waffles - Frozen?

Sometimes you just need convenience food. The trick to keeping it healthy without breaking your budget is to fix it yourself, and then converting it to convenience food. Like frozen toaster waffles, for example. About a month ago I had a couple pears that needed to be used but weren't juicy enough for me to slice and eat with Handsome Man. Since no one else in the house will eat fresh pears, I decided to try them out in my waffles and the recipe for Pear Blender Waffles was born.

Since then, I've been a little out of control. Because these waffles don't actually taste fruity, the kids love them. Because they're lower in fat and do have fruit in them, I love them. I have tried pears, apples, and frozen peaches in this recipe. And so no matter how hard I try I can't actually take the time to fix breakfast from scratch every day, I decided to make a double-batch of these every week and freeze the extra. They'll get the kids and I through about 3 days, which is great because I can plan on pulling them out on the crazy days.


Low-fat Blender Waffles
(Makes 8 to 10 Belgian-style waffles, about 100-110 calories each.)

1 c. frozen peaches OR
1 fresh peach, apple or pear, peeled and sliced
1 c. milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 c. flour, white or whole wheat
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

If you are using frozen peaches, thaw for about 30 seconds in the microwave before using. Otherwise, place prepared fruit in the blender. Add milk, egg, and butter.
Blend for 30 to 60 seconds until fruit is completely mixed in.
Add 1/2 cup only of the flour, along with salt and baking powder. This makes sure everything gets mixed in well. Blend until combined.
Add remaining 3/4 cup flour and blend until combined. You may need to take off the lid and scrape the sides while it's running to make sure no flour clumps are left hanging on for dear life.
Pour into a pre-heated waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron specifications.
Hopefully your waffle iron will cook a little more evenly than my (brand new!) contraption...
Serve for breakfast or freeze.
To freeze, line a cookie sheet with wax paper and lay waffles out in a layer. If you still have waffles left, place another sheet of wax paper on top and make another layer. Repeat until all the waffles are laying flat between or on layers of wax paper.
Stick in the freezer for about 2-3 hours. Once waffles are frozen, place into a Ziploc bag and store in the freezer until ready to use.

To prepare frozen waffles:
If you have the thicker Belgian-style waffle maker like I do, you will need to microwave them for a few seconds before toasting them. I usually microwave a plate of 4 waffles for 30 seconds or 2 waffles for 15 seconds. Then toast like you would the store-bought frozen waffles.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin