Monday, November 9, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

There it is: the ultimate dessert muffin. I actually cut into this one when it was still hot so the chocolate chips were melted and they and smeared a little bit for the picture. Yum!

This time of year I get regular requests for my pumpkin chocolate chip muffins from the Peanut Gallery. They are extremely popular with everyone, even The Monkey who is my most picky eater of all. Yet I have a love/hate relationship with muffins and sweetbreads in general. They are so good, yet usually so loaded with fat and sugars that I feel guilty letting my kids have too many. Not to mention the fact that I will eat too many. They are quick and easy snack that I am more likely to reach for over a piece of fruit or something else that would be better for my waistline.

So in an attempt to reconcile my guilty pleasures with my calorie conscience, I have modified my pumpkin muffin recipe to make it better for me. The chocolate chips also add a good bit of fat and calories, so you can actually leave those out and end up with a muffin that has only about 100 calories each. If you know your muffins, that's actually really good. And they don't taste or feel like cardboard - imagine that!

This recipe also makes a large batch of muffins - about three dozen. That's because it calls for a full can of pumpkin puree. It really bugs me when a recipe calls for 1 cup of pumpkin and then then I'm left with this partial can of pumpkin in my fridge - not even quite enough for a second batch! Grrr... I'd rather make a large batch and live on 'em for a few days. Or better yet, just share with someone you love. Or someone you even like just a little bit. Or maybe even someone you are trying to get favors from. They will all thank you.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
(Makes 36 muffins, about 150 calories each)

1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. honey
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
3 eggs
1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt
2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips

In a bowl combine canned pumpkin, spices, brown sugar, honey, and butter.
Beat until combined. Butter will still be chunky-looking in the batter.
Add 1 1/2 c. flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Beat an additional 1-2 minutes on medium speed.
Add milk, eggs, and yogurt. Mix yet again.
And finally, add the other 2 cups of flour. Beat well.
With a spoon or a spatula, mix in the chocolate chips by hand. You'll still have about 1/2 c. of chocolate chips left in the bag, but you notice I'm not complaining about having that left over. This is good for snacking while you're making the muffins, baking the muffins, or my favorite - stick them in the freezer and grab a few when you need a chocolate fix in the middle of the day.
Fill muffin cups about half full and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

3 comments:

Mama Bee said...

My husband loves pumpkin anything! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll be sure to make these!!

Mrs. Snip said...

I am so glad you posted this!!! I am definitely going to try to make them, do you think I could even sub applesauce for the butter? I am doing WW points, and I think this would be a yummy treat!

Anita said...

I think you probably could substitute some of the butter with applesauce, but I've already cut back on the butter in the recipe and substituted with yogurt, so I wouldn't be too aggressive with it at first.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin