Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Garlic Asparagus

Once upon a time, this dish was loved by Horse Lover. Unfortunately, I haven't made it in a while and now she's decided she doesn't like asparagus. Figures. However, I will continue to persevere and make it from time to time. It was thoroughly enjoyed by The Honey, Handsome Man, and me!

If you fall into the same category as Horse Lover and The Monkey (i.e. you don't like asparagus), I feel your pain. For a long time I didn't think that I liked asparagus, either. This probably had something to do with the fact that the only asparagus I had was that canned asparagus - nasty, slimy, squishy stuff. No way, Jose'. All of that changed the day I first tried some fresh asparagus. Ooh, la la! It was lightly crisp, tasty, and I could pick it up with my fingers and eat it. This is the way asparagus should be.


Garlic Asparagus
(This entire recipe is only about 250 calories! Makes about 4 servings of less than 65 calories each.)

1 lb fresh asparagus
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Salt/pepper to taste
2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
Paprika

Wash asparagus, and break off woody portion of the stem. It should snap off easily in your hands.
Place asparagus spears in a microwavable dish, along with 2 Tbsp of water. (I use a glass pie plate - works great for me!) Cover with plastic wrap and steam in the microwave for about 4 1/2 minutes, stirring once during cooking. (Note: you do not want to cook your asparagus all the way in the microwave. Remember, you're going to continue cooking it on the stove for a few minutes, and you don't want it to be overdone!)
Remove asparagus from microwave and drain. Heat oil and garlic in a skillet, and add steamed asparagus. Sprinkle with Nature's Seasons (or salt/pepper).
Saute over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring gently to lightly coat asparagus in garlic and oil.
Return asparagus to baking dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake at 375 degrees for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
OR
Leave in the pan and sprinkle with Parmesan and paprika. Cover and let cook without stirring for another minute or two until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin