Friday, October 23, 2009

Fun Fridays: The 3-Ingredient Cookie

It's been a slow blogging week for me, but not without cause. Handsome Man, The Monkey, and yours truly got attacked by the stomach bug! Not fun. After two days, most of us have emerged triumphant. Handsome Man, however, is still fighting the battle (poor little fella!) so although I'm still too distracted to try anything fancy in the kitchen, I do have some recipes in my picture archives that are on my "to do" list for posting that I can share with you.

For years I have looked at this recipe and wondered if it was "for real". I've heard about it: peanut butter cookies made with nothing but sugar, eggs, and peanut butter. That's it. What, no flour? Nope. No butter? Nope. No salt, vanilla, or baking soda? Nope, nope, and nope. Just three things. (Or four things if you decide to put in some chocolate chips like we did.)

If it had been up to me, I probably still wouldn't have tried it by now, but Horse Lover was in charge of the treat for our weekly Family Night several weeks ago. She had recently had one of these cookies at someone's house (who, by the way is allergic to gluten) and fell in love with them. This meant that as soon as it was her turn to choose the treat again, this was what she wanted.

As for me, I still prefer the good old regular-style of peanut butter cookie to these. I can't help it - I like flour in my cookies! But there may be some of you out there somewhere in cyberspace wondering if these gluten-free cookies are worth the effort. For Horse Lover, the answer will always be yes. For anyone eating a gluten-free diet, the answer would again be yes. But for me? Probably not my first choice, but a decent alternative. Just keep in mind that they are sweeter than your typical peanut butter cookie. At least I won't be in danger of blowing my diet over these. Not like my chewy molasses cookies... Now there is a recipe I need to post on here sometime. But that's for another day.


Peanut-Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
(Optional: 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips)

Gather your ingredients.
In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, egg, and and sugar.
Add chocolate chips (if desired) and mix well.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet covered in parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray.
Flatten slightly with a fork.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake about 6-7 minutes until bottom edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let set an additional 2 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin