Friday, October 2, 2009

Fun Fridays: French Bread Pizza

French bread pizza is one of The Honey's favorite quick and easy convenience meals. It's super easy because I can just buy a loaf of french bread at the store and throw the toppings on. However, when I first started making it we had a lot of soggy bread under the sauce, and I just couldn't stand that. I have soggy bread issues. Big ones.

So, I tried everything I could think of to overcome the problem - even broiling the tops before baking! The one thing that I have found that works the best is to butter the bread before putting on the pizza sauce. Voila! A moisture barrier! Of course, when the butter melts it just removes the barrier, but it pretty much takes care of the soggy bread issue for me.


French Bread Pizza

1 loaf french bread
Spreadable margarine or butter
Garlic salt
1/2 - 3/4 c. pizza sauce or pureed Italian style diced tomatoes
shredded mozzarella (about 2 cups)
pizza toppings (i.e. pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms, etc.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice a loaf of french bread in half lengthwise.

Place bread, cut sides up on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil. Spread margarine or butter along the cut sides, and sprinkle with garlic salt.

Spread pizza sauce on top of the margarine.

Sprinkle half the cheese on the bread (about 1/2 c. per side).

Top with your favorite pizza toppings (i.e. pepperoni, mushrooms, etc.)

Sprinkle remaining cheese over pizza toppings.

Bake in at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until cheese in melted.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin