Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yellow Squash Patties

I seem to have squash on the mind today, but with good reason. I got a ton of yellow squash and zucchini in my produce co-op yesterday, and I'm generally the only one in my family that likes it. However, I discovered two very, very yummy recipes today on Allrecipes.com which I will post here with the changes that I made. This one didn't go over well with Horse Lover or The Monkey (one said it tasted like corn), but was a huge hit with Handsome Man. I gave him a couple bites and then went back into the kitchen to finish cooking them. He crawled into the kitchen after me and begged for more. I think he ate two whole patties all by himself! The Honey has yet to try them, but my neighbor also gave them a great review.


Yellow Squash Patties

4 medium yellow squash, shredded
1/2 onion, shredded
2 tsp salt
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/2 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Black pepper to taste
Olive oil or cooking spray


Place squash and onion in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and mix lightly. Let drain about 30 minutes, squeezing the extra moisture out a couple of times. Place squash and onion in a bowl, and combine with flour, cornmeal, egg, cheese, and pepper. Heat skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle a small amount of oil in pan, or spray with cooking spray. Drop squash by heaping tablespoonfuls into the skillet, and flatten. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving. Makes about 15-20 patties.

A serving suggestion on allrecipes was to serve with sour cream and a dash of hot sauce. We ate them plain, but if your interested in "dressing them up" a bit, this sounds yummy.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin