Thursday, June 18, 2009

Apple Carrot Muffins

This is actually a variation of a recipe for cranberry apple muffins that I found around Christmas time. Although I thoroughly enjoy this with cranberries, The Monkey does not. She'd pick around the cranberries every time. So, I upped the shredded carrot and dropped the cranberries for her. I also added in the milled flax seed and decreased the amount of oil in the recipe. I also like this recipe because volume-wise 50% of it is either fruit or vegetable. Then I use whole wheat flour, so I can feel good giving it to my kids in spite of the extra sugar that comes with muffins. This makes about 2 dozen muffins, so generally I either half the recipe or share with someone else.


Apple Carrot Muffins

2 c. shredded peeled apples (if you're in a hurry, you can substitute 1 3/4 c. applesauce)
1 1/3 c. sugar
2 c. shredded carrots (OR 1 c. shredded carrots and 1 c. chopped cranberries)
2 egg, lighly beaten
6 Tbsp olive oil or canola oil
1/2 c. milled flax seed
2 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt

In a bowl,combine apples and sugar; let stand for 10 minutes. (If using applesauce, no need to let stand.) Add carrots, eggs, and oil. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients and stir into apple mixture until just moistened. Fill muffin cups and bake 375 degrees for 25-30 minutesm or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove to wire rack.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin