Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sloppy Joe Sandwiches


I don't know what it is about men and beef, but when I say the word "steak" to The Honey, he gets a glazed, joyful look in his eyes.  And if I say the words "Sloppy Joe" he starts to salivate.

Huh??

But since I love my man, I try to accommodate him from time to time.  And since I'm not the kind of person that normally has cans of Manwich on hand, I needed a recipe for Sloppy Joe sandwiches.  After looking at a few, I found a good recipe by Laurie Hauser on allrecipes that I could work with.  I made some minor changes of course - I just can't make anything like it's written.  (Or that calls for 1/2 cup of ketchup - I had to use some vegetable juice instead!)  But either way, these turned out good enough for me to enjoy.


Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
(Yields 4 servings of filling, about 180 calories each.  If you're counting calories, don't forget to add in your bun!)

3/4 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. vegetable juice
1-2 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced

Brown meat and onion in a skillet over medium heat.  When cooked, drain and rinse with hot water.


Return meat and onion to pan.



Add remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat until it reaches desired thickness.


The traditional way to serve this is on a bun, but if you'd like to try something new you can spoon it over a little brown rice and serve with some veggies.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin