Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Quick & Easy Pie Crust



Although I hate to admit it, I'm kind of a lazy cook.  That's the real reason I have a hard time measuring when I'm fixing something for dinner - it's so much easier just to eyeball it and toss it in.  However, there are some things you just can't do that with.  I do NOT estimate baking soda when I'm baking, for example.  I'd hate to accidentally dump in twice as much or not use enough, you know?  It's not easy like vanilla.  Vanilla is so forgiving... as long as it's in there it doesn't really matter, right?

So now that I've gone and given all the real chefs out there twitching fits with my laissez faire attitude, I will let you in on another secret: just because something is "quick and easy" doesn't mean it isn't as good as the long version.  This recipe is one of those.

Although I'm staying away from a lot of sweets and junk food these days, I'm also a creature of tradition, and tradition means pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dinner.  I was asked to make one for a meal we were invited to share with our neighbors this past Saturday, and I really (I mean really) did not want to spend a lot of time baking since I had already spent hours in my kitchen last week.  But I'm also a pie snob, as you may know.  Nothing store-bought was going to suffice for me.  Since desperation breeds innovation, I figured out how to cut my Aunt Esther's excellent pie crust recipe down in size so it would just make a single crust.  And even better, I also figured out how to make it without getting my hands really dirty.


Quick and Easy Pie Crust

1 c. flour + 2 Tbsp.
pinch of salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg white
1/2 tsp. vinegar
water

Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a small mixing bowl.  Add shortening.  Using a fork, crumble the shortening into the flour mixture until it looks something like this:


Next, place egg white in a liquid measuring cup.  Add vinegar, and just enough water to fill the measuring cup up to 1/4 cup.  Beat with a fork until foamy.


Dump egg mixture into flour mixture.  Stir (and even mash a little) with the fork until well combined.


This next step does require you to use your hands, but I promise it's just for a second and they won't be coated with lots of sticky dough that's hard to wash off.  Just dump the mixture out on a piece of wax paper or a lightly floured surface and shape into a smooth ball.


If using wax paper, cover with another sheet and flatten slightly with your hands.  Roll out and use as needed for your recipe.


If you are completely new to pie crust, feel free to check out the tutorial by clicking here.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://tosylogowi.bigheadhosting.net/ohujys.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Blog Widget by LinkWithin